12 Sep Accounting Manager
We are seeking a skilled and experienced Accounting Manager to join our non-profit organization. As an Accounting Manager, you will play a crucial role in managing our financial operations and ensuring compliance with accounting principles, regulations, and donor requirements. Your expertise will contribute to the financial stability and transparency of our non-profit, allowing us to continue making a positive impact in the community.
Reports to: CFO.
- General Financial Management
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date financial records, ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and relevant regulations and contractual requirements. Maintain chart of accounts and ensure that Business Office staff are instructed on the use of appropriate account numbers.
- Monitor and support daily activities of the Business Office, including accounts payable, procurement, deposits, and banking activity. Respond to inquiries from Monell staff, vendors, grantors, contractors, and regulators where appropriate.
- Reconcile key accounts to insure accuracy.
- Prepare and distribute financial reports, including interim financial statements, budget reports, aging receivables, and others as needed.
- Monitor internal controls to safeguard the organization’s assets and prevent fraud.
- Assist in the development and implementation of financial policies, procedures, and systems to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
- Manage monthly close process, including routine entries, reconciliations, and reporting.
- Provide guidance and support to junior accounting staff, offering mentorship and promoting their professional development.
- Manage and maintain accurate records of gift, endowment, and other restricted funds. Monitor use of restricted funds with respect to donor intentions.
- Work closely with scientists, grants administration, and development team to keep stakeholders informed about activity and balances. Support Grants Administration budget tracking program.
- Create journal vouchers to document the release of restricted funds.
- Manage tracking and reporting of endowment funds and endowed positions.
- Support the annual financial audit process, liaising with the Director of Grants and Contract Accounting and external auditors.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulatory requirements, including tax filings, government reports, grant and contract requirements, and internal Monell policy.
- Stay updated on changes in accounting standards and regulations that affect the non-profit sector, and make recommendations for necessary adjustments.
- Provide instruction as needed on accounting practices and accounting software for business office and related personnel.
- Supervise and mentor business office staff as assigned.
- Evaluate and improve accounting procedures, internal controls, and financial systems to increase efficiency and accuracy.
- Provide backup coverage as needed for the CFO, Director of Grants and Contracts Accounting, and other business office staff.
- Support and collaborate with other Monell departments such as Development, Office of Research Administration, and Corporate Partners Program as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. BS/BA, MBA, and/or CPA considered a plus.
- Minimum of 4 years of accounting experience, preferably in a non-profit environment. Thorough understanding of non-profit accounting principles, regulations, and compliance requirements. Exposure to government and foundation grant accounting a plus. Experience with investment and endowment accounting considered a plus.
- Proficient in financial software and accounting systems (e.g., QuickBooks, Fund EZ, Blackbaud Financial Edge, MIP Abila, Microsoft Dynamics, etc.).
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills. Ability to combine information from multiple platforms and to manage interfaces among platforms.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to present financial information to non-financial stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively, to prioritize tasks, and to meet deadlines.
- Strong ethical standards and commitment to maintaining confidentiality of financial information.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Niko Cook at email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Monell provides Equal Employment Opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to Race, Color, Religion, Age, Sex, National Origin, Disability Status, Genetics, Protected Veteran Status, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity or Expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This applies to all terms and conditions of Employment, including Recruiting, Hiring, Placement, Promotion, Termination, Layoff, Recall, Transfer, Leaves of Absence, Compensation and Training.